Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Road to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions

Note to self: when Blogger warns you you'll lose your settings, listen! I'm working on a new template, look, whatever... so all my links disappeared. Bummer. Stay tuned...

Otherwise known as: Histgrad 'fesses up.

I'm guessing this post will fade into the ether, since even my most faithful readers have certainly tired of my lengthy silence by now. I've reached a bit of a blogging crossroads for two reasons. One, the ostensible purpose of this blog is no longer relevant! And two, I'm about to experience another major change in my life.

First of all, I am officially, finally, certified, 100% GRADUATED! I am done. Finished. Finito. I am now Dr. Histgrad. After sprinting to my defense back in December, I took a few well-deserved months off. My committee signed the signature form, so I figured that I didn't technically have to make any changes that I didn't want to. Which encouraged my natural tendencies to procrastinate until sometime this spring. I got up the courage to take out my advisors' comments and I started to work on them. Thankfully they were mostly cosmetic and easy to implement. It was slow going because it was hard to justify putting tons of effort into something that 1) will probably never be read and 2) would be totally transformed into something else should I ever write a book. But I felt I owed my advisors at least a token effort to implement the suggested changes. So I formatted and edited and double-checked and measured and printed and re-printed... and voila! I was done. I was even able to use UPS regular delivery instead of the Package of Shame (Fed Ex.) So after years and years of never making a self-imposed deadline, I turned it all in on time.

And secondly, my readers can decide which is the greater achievement up to now, but... to make a very long story short: I'm currently 39 weeks pregnant! For those of you happily ignorant about such matters, that means I'm due to have a baby in about a week. Here's where the road to hell part comes in... I kept intending to blog and write and comment about this whole pregnancy deal, but the longer I waited to do so, the more it seemed like I should write The Best Mea Culpa Blog Post Ever. And obviously that never happened. It's like having an incomplete -- the longer you wait to turn in a paper, the better it has to be. Probably not the best mind-set to be a blogger, but there it is.

So I've really reached a crossroads in my life, now that I think about it. I'm no longer ABD. I no longer have a dissertation hanging over my head. I could pack up all those boxes and files and piles and folders and put them away forever. Hell, I could even have a big bonfire and burn them all! I think I'll opt for the putting-them-away option and see if I feel like returning to this someday and writing a book. It really hasn't sunk in yet. In the many years it took me to finish, I have had weeks or months when I didn't touch my dissertation, so it doesn't feel quite real yet.

And I'm also about to become a parent. A mother. Unlike studying for a test or training for a marathon, being pregnant actually doesn't prepare one for parenthood. I know, I know, on a hormonal level it does, but as far as Actual Preparations, being pregnant only prepares you for being pregnant.

If I can turn over a new blogging leaf, I think that "Eating an Elephant" still applies. I think that works with caring for a newborn. For teaching. For pondering how to mingle scholarship with teaching. And I've found this community to be helpful and supportive in all those things.

So hopefully this will not be the last you hear from Dr. Histgrad!

11 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

Congrats on both counts! How exciting!!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Overread said...

We're not gone! Congraulations! Wonderful news on both fronts!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger RageyOne said...

She's alive! Oh my! :-) Just kidding...

Congrats to you on your accoomplishment of finishing the degree!

Congrats on your upcoming addition to your family.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said...

Hey you're back?!! Congrats Dr. Histgrad and that's for sharing the news about the new addition--best wishes to you!!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Lilian said...

Oh, My. That's interesting. I just randomly clicked on your blog at ABD Mom's blogroll... and then, after looking at the first two posts (which I'll go back later and read because I need the advice, since I NEED to finish my diss in a year come hell or high water) and came to this one - and

1)- the very same thing happened to me in blogger, I was editing a template and my whole blogroll disappeared from the screen - I was very upset, but I managed to put it all back (though I forgot some blogs). Now I have my template saved in a notepad document.

2) WOW!! A baby!! Don't tell me you won't say blog more about this. There aren't enough newly minted Ph.D.s and mothers out there in blogland... :)

Anyway. Congratulations, I hope it all went well. I have two boys, 4 and 2, and, in great part because of them, I'm still ABD... I'm glad you got the ABD part out of the way first. Well, I'll be back and hopefully you'll still be here even though now you have a newborn to care for - how wonderful :) [my nephew was born last Thursday, so I'm very keen on newborns right now :)]

 
At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Automatic dishwasher repair how to

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 癌症康复网 工作总结 个人工作总结 班主任工作总结 年终工作总结 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述廉报告 考察报告 自查报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 辞职报告 实习报告 评估报告 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习心得 工作心得 培训心得 读后感 演讲稿 竞聘演讲 就职演讲 比赛演讲 征文演讲 节日演讲 演讲技巧 工作意见 活动策划 工作方案 整改方案 实施方案 企划文案 销售方案 培训方案 应急预案 规章制度 法律法规 事迹材料 先进事迹 个人事迹 申报材料 学习材料 考察材料 经验材料 交流材料 自我鉴定 模板范例 技巧经验 工作计划 民主生活会 入党志愿书 入党申请书 入团申请书 转正申请书 通知 毕业论文 合同 肺癌 肝癌 胃癌 肾癌 食道癌 直肠癌 结肠癌 胰腺癌 卵巢癌 宫颈癌 乳腺癌 子宫癌

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Jackied mosley said...

The construct is meant to be used as a general short treatment technique for your own personel economical needs. Once your advance title loans in mobile gets to be else, you then have several solutions in relation to solutions to possess a bent to repay.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Big Brother said...

There is a lot of alarm on Airship loans due to abridgement of ability about how they work. However, accuracy is that by requesting a Airship adaptation instead of a acceptable adaptation you can save bags of dollars beneath the appropriate situations. Apprentice how airship loans can action you bargain finance...
Auto Title Loans Chicago

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Mission Vission said...

You don't accusation to accustom the payday acclaim supplier what you crave the payday avant-garde for. You can avant-garde the banknote for whatever you require. You adeptness bind bargain for spendable hitter a crisis which can not sit apprenticed until payday for occasion; crisis ambulatory or dental treatment, to achieve a bill rapidly, added barmy through bargain voyaging or in for banknote abhorrence of for a afraid weekend away. Cash Advance San-diego

 

Post a Comment

<< Home