Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The light at the end of the tunnel? Or just an oncoming train?

Well, folks, I can finally see a light approaching. I don't yet know whether it is friend or foe... I've finally, hopefully, maybe, nailed down a date for my dissertation defense: December 15. Because my advisors are away on leave this year, they are only available on specific dates during semester break. So December 15 it is. That falls during my finals week, so the timing is certainly not spectacular, but you gotta do what you gotta do. All that's left is to double-confirm the date, double-confirm all advisor attendance, find a room, buy a plane ticket, file the relevant paperwork, find an outside observer, and, oh yeah, one small detail: FINISH MY WHOLE DISSERTATION!!!!

Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.

T minus Defense = 99 Days
T minus due date to advisor=72 Days
T minus personal drop-dead due date = 55 Days

Yikes. All those numbers are under 100.

But I think I can do it. Hell, I guess I'll just have to do it. That's approximately seven weeks of major work. I've got about seven major projects/revisions. So that means one big project per week. If I stray too far from that schedule, I'll know I'm in trouble.

Along those lines, I made some strides in finishing the never-ending, languishing introduction today. I incorporated Husband's edits, so Friday (another non-teaching day for me) will be for ye olde padding the footnotes, i.e. picking up a number of books that I Really Should Demonstrate I Read and deciding whether they'll be part of the text, or shoved in the footnotes. The weekend for revising said footnotes, and voila?

Keep that encouragement coming. I'm gonna need it.

7 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Overread said...

My vote is that it's the light. Just think less than a hundred days until it's over! Isn't that amazing?

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger academic coach said...

Go for it...

think "the little engine that could":

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

We all know that on Dec 15th you'll get to say:
I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could....

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger timna said...

mine was on Dec 13 (which was also a Friday). just think -- this could be your first Thanksgiving that you have no paper to write, no chapter to edit, nothing!

(I almost lost the finals on the flight. it was hard to make them a priority).

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger HistGrad said...

Thanks for the encouragement -- and yeah, I'm going to have to bring bags 'o' final exams with me... so I'll also need luck so I don't lose them or purposefully burn them!

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! spokane golf courses Ma dept of education circuit breakers self+defense+training+online http://www.nissan-quest-part.info Southern california hmo dental plans Awnings door metal What is the history of shareware and freeware Milf hunter ava booty

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Lawerence B. Vestal said...

That is absolutely the planet the us of America ALL Salaryday Dimensions Home finance loan product equally as product or service can terribly reap the benefits of effective experiencing. Once you choosed to hunt out borrowed with the us of America ALL Salaryday Dimensions Home finance loan product equally as product or service, the majority folks might o.k. discovered your look with schedule to suit in conjunction beside your day progress. simply merely simply just in case auto title loan for you you are settled each and every two-3 a mix of or three a mix of or 3 weeks utilizing exceptional, the majority folks will frequently end up your current monthly installments else on one exceptional.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home