Monday, September 19, 2005

Guilty Pleasures

Thanks to Community College Dean for a fun post about guilty pleasures -- he asks, "what are your guilty pleasures, and what’s the term for the opposite of a guilty pleasure (something you’re supposed to like, but don’t)?"

Here are mine:

Stuff I’m supposed to like, but don’t: Foreign films (I want to watch a movie, not read it...wait, didn't Joey from Friends make this same argument?), all types of mushrooms (eeew... must be the texture), Serious Novels, cartoons from the New Yorker (I just don't get them, and then I feel like a small town hick), eating lamb (only one person has ever cooked lamb that I liked, so perhaps I should just admit defeat), jazz (can't think of a good excuse here...just don't like it), gazpacho (what is it? soup or runny salsa? In which case, soup should be hot and salsa should come with chips), seriously dark chocolate (give me the sweet Euro milk chocolate any day) and any fish that has white flesh (I'll eat "pink" fish like salmon or tuna, whereas fish sticks make my skin crawl.)

Stuff I like, but I’m not supposed to: Friends (now that I've mentioned it), 90210 reruns, Kraft macaroni and cheese that comes from the box and is all fake yellow and yummy, trashy mystery novels, that song by Hanson "Mmmm....bop" (great for exercising), Diet Mountain Dew (all natural!), Dairy Queen (I know, Big Corporate Franchise and all that, but it's soooo good.), Manwich (such a good, quick dinner), any sugared cereal made by humankind (Cookie Crisp, Apple Jacks, Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms...all my good, good friends), anything with a fake strawberry or banana taste, and that white frosting on a grocery store cake that you know is pure Crisco, but oh, so good.

I guess most of my guilty pleasures are food. And no, I'm not 300 pounds, if you were wondering. See previous posts about exercising to verify that fact.

Confess away, readers! (this means you, too, lurkers....)

5 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

Oooo, great topic...and I'm reading your lists and thinking about it and I swear I don't mean to be a gi-normous shameless blogwhore, but I really think I need an entire post to answer this, so I think I need to head over to my site and see what happens. :)

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Stuff I'm supposed to like, but don't: most condiments (especially those usually found on sandwiches), tofu (the texture, ew), Chardonnay (why is this the only white wine most places/people have? ew ew ew, it's like licking an oak barrel), running (not only painful, but boring at the same time!), that annoying show 'Waddya Know' on NPR (hard to believe that thing's been around for as long as it has..20 years or so?) The New Yorker (those articles are like novellas)

Stuff I like but on some level know is bad for me: Nutty Bars, Insert Name of Television Show Here (total addict, but at least I multi-task), Cheetos, British Miniseries (what's the plural of series? seri? At any rate, preferably the kind based on books)

 
At 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuff I'm supposed to like (because it's good for me), but I don't: any food my wife likes that I don't like.

Stuff I'm not supposed to like (because it's bad for me), but I do: any food that I like that my wife doesn't.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... corvette slot machine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home