Friday, August 19, 2005

Day 32: Paging Dr. Strangelove to the white courtesy phone!

I feel it is likely that some insidious force has drained my precious bodily fluids...

I feel sapped. Drained. Exhausted. And the semester hasn't even started yet! A few days of long, jargon-filled faculty meetings, interspersed with numerous terrifying realizations about the state of my syllabi (or lack thereof) I offer up the following list of (semi-petty) things I am thankful for:

*colleagues who sit next to me in darkened auditoriums and crack sarcastic jokes
*my purring kitties
*that running high I got at minute 28 on the elliptical machine yesterday when I was about ready to quit, with 12 minutes to go...
*my iPod, for selecting a great song at minute 32
*CBS, for broadcasting a new-to-me CSI last night (I really needed to veg on my couch)
*my VCR, for recording the Daily Show last night (I went to bed at 9:30! What am I, twelve?)
*Starbucks, for making me a much-needed iced soy latte

What semi-petty things are you thankful for?

One interesting observation: one speaker mentioned an article in the Academic Leader (only available with subscription) about how academics are one group that is quite likely to fall victim to the "imposter phenomenon," meaning that academics are more likely to believe they're impostors (I don't really deserve this job, etc.) and that somehow, someday, they'll be "found out." Do you think your doctor or dentist or attorney goes to work every day and worries about that? So I wish for all of us, as we start our fall semesters, to avoid selling ourselves short. We're not impostors. Just think how much more you know about your discipline than your students do! After all, one of my students last semester claimed that the New Deal was designed to provide every American with a television set...

I'll close with a quotation featured in a presentation I attended yesterday:
"If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 (0r 400) people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of whom didn't want to be there or were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he/she might have some conception of the classroom teacher's job." Donald Quinn

Amen! Have a good weekend everyone.

2 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Lawerence B. Vestal said...

That's the spot that the us of America Pay day advance Size loan product and services can good thing about economical sensation. Once you establish to become loaned with the us of America Pay day advance Size loan product and services, all people will on the face of it check cashing costa mesa assortment your individual check set up correspond with all of your pay day progress. simply just in case you are obtained each a month having weekday, all people is perhaps aiming to produce your payments referable comparable weekday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home