Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Day 15: Looking for the perfect place to work

Does anyone else ever dream about the ideal workspace or office? In addition to finding the exact right moment to work, sometimes I think that I would be fabulously productive if only I had the exact right office. A good view, but nothing distracting. Air-conditioned in the summer, cozy warm in the winter. Enough space and furniture to get really, really organized but nothing extraneous to distract me. The perfect desk, the perfect chair, and voila! A finished dissertation. Not surprisingly, I've never worked in this dream office, but I think it is funny that my "dreams" sometimes revolve around office furniture!

Otherwise, still struggling. Churned through revising a few more paragraphs today. Making slow progress. I have a sinking feeling that I'm revising something that will be truly, truly awful at the end and in no way resemble an introduction with a coherent argument... but in the spirit of "something is better than nothing" I will keep going. I'll fall off the bridge when I come to it.

My work day is ending a bit early -- my dear friend and college roommate is treating me to a night at a spa and then we'll have a chance to catch up over dinner. I'm not sure it qualifies as a "much deserved" break, but it will be quite wonderful just the same.

7 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger KJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Hmmm...sounds like the dissertation-writing equivalent to my exercise/sport dilemmas. On more occasions than I care to admit, I've said to myself that "if only I had a decent bike/more stylish workout clothes/a workout partner/a gym with more attractive male members, etc." I would do whatever the desired accessory would allow me to do, do it more, do it better, and have more fun doing it!

It's all about the accessories!

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Sonia said...

I've just found this site after spending yet another afternoon surfing when I should be working on my diss. I'm so glad to have found another person going through what I am.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger HistGrad said...

Sonia, check out my link to Pretty Hard Dammit... she's done more work on her blog than I have, and she's got tons of links to other ABD blogs. Addictive, but helpful. Hang in there... we'll all be finished someday.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Sonia said...

Thanks, histgrad. There's more of us! Seriously until now I pretty much thought it was only I who had these problems.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger HistGrad said...

Sonia,
Sadly, no... there are tons of us out here! So stick with us and we'll get it done. I'll post a good link tomorrrow to one of my favorite resources. Can you join a writers' support group? I've been in a few and found them helpful.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Stewgad said...

I think my fantasies about workspace take a darker turn. I often think that if only I were in jail, that I, like Gramsci, would produce a brilliant treatise of a dissertation because:

1. I'd be fed by someone else.
2. I'd have nowhere else to go and nothing else to do.
3. I wouldn't have to choose a wardrobe.
4. Other than Big Bertha, nobody would bother me.

I once shared this fantasy with a friend - I said, "you know, if they put me in jail, I'd finish my dissertation so quickly because I'd have nothing else to do!" She looked at me, with a touch of fright in her voice, and said, "Uh, yeah... sure..." That was pretty much the end of that friendship. I think she thought I was nuts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home