Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Back on the Horse

So it seems as if another week has passed... I guess it was filled with house guests (much fun and good food was had by all, even those who slept on the floor. I hope.) and cleaning and cooking and sight-seeing and restaurant-eating and Ikea-going, etc. General living. Exercising. Oh, and some teaching, too. I have a theory that fall semester students are not as "good" as spring semester students, perhaps because they're not quite ready for college (or perhaps because our semester is the first one to start in what seems like the entire hemisphere. August 22? Are you kidding?) or perhaps because their parents made them do it. At any rate, my students this semester are proving the exception to my "rule" and so far have been engaged and inquisitive and a pleasant surprise. Wish I felt more motivated and "up" to the challenge they're currently posing. I guess in some ways I felt like I never really got a summer, and here I go again, crossing off weekly blocks in my syllabus. Isn't it time for finals yet?

So now that I'm back in the swing of things at school, and now that my house has been cleaned, messed up, and cleaned again, I think it is time to face the original music: my dissertation. Time to send another Come to Jesus e-mail in which I set up a series of deadlines. Time to revise that introduction one more time. Time to reload and hope for victory in the latest battle of my current Recall War. If there's one thing I've learned in all of my years of working on this beast is that even if you feel (or are?) stalled out, pick it up again. Get moving. You can't eat an elephant with one bite. And you certainly can't polish off the elephant if you don't have knife and fork in hand.

1 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home