Thursday, July 07, 2005

Days 14-16: Excuses, cont. Hangover, cont.

More of the same on my end. I have to remind myself that I do have another identity (professor) and that identity will often take precedence over my dissertation, as much as that feels stressful and "wrong" right now. In this case, after finishing the grades for my course, I slogged through two 450+ page books about the Civil Rights Movement in Mississippi (a startling fact: white folks in Mississippi could be quite awful) and I've still got one more to go. I think we're supposed to read these books to actually Learn Information (as opposed to the usual grad school ritual of reading books to tear them apart) and I have no idea if my brain managed to retain what it should have retained. I have no time to take notes, so it'll have to do. One very small bit of progress, however... I did spent an hour this morning looking at my introduction, realized the situation is not as grim as I had feared, and then I took some notes from a secondary source. So no huge leaps of progress and certainly no momentum, but at least I did it.

Otherwise, I've exercised every day and we had dinner with friends last night (more mojitos and grilled things... including some grilled veggies that were quite spectacular) and am just now sitting down to contemplate the packing nightmare that these multiple trips will entail.

So I'll be on the road for the next 10 days... blogging will likely be difficult, but I'll surely have time to check e-mail. Drop me a line! Hope that I won't melt in the Oklahoma and Mississippi heat. And be sure to vote about the best barbecue in Memphis, should you have an opinion about that.

4 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Grad student. I finished my dissertation by considering it a job. I kept a time card and clocked in and out. I required myself to work a progressively increasing schedule by day-- first 2 hrs, then 4 (my max until the end, since I was teaching too). Perhaps this tip will help you too.
Now-tenured Professor in the Humanities

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger HistGrad said...

Love the time card idea -- I've even been "reduced" to giving myself different colored stars for how many hours I've put in each day!

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Saints and sinner bingo download rhinoplasty sex Subscribe to tennis week Fico india Cost of patent shall change to Pet medications at canadian pharmacy http://www.percocet-10-325.info/topamax-weight-loss-ill.html chartwell slot machines http://www.productscosmetics.info/Show-mary-kay-cosmetics.html Tenuate saturday delivery does propecia work http://www.printer-cartridges-1.info/hp_laserjet_printer_1320_cartridge.html Topamax topiramate Paris hiltons nude take topamax Remove slotch adware

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home